You’ve made the decision to get an ergonomic chair. Congratulations! But now the big question: How do you know which chairs are good quality and which ones aren’t? What are the most reputable companies? Who makes the best ergonomic office chairs?
In this article, we will look at some of the top manufacturers of office chairs and their most popular products. You will learn a bit of their history, locations, prices, and warranties.
By the end, you will know where to look for what you need.
When it comes to ergonomic office chairs, Herman Miller is the name that tops every list. They are known for exceptional quality, style, and adjustable features, as well as a hefty price tag. Most average $700 and up.
However, their chairs also come with an impressive 12-year warranty that includes parts and labor.
Herman Miller has been in business for over 100 years. It’s headquartered in Michigan and has manufacturing plants in the United States, China, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
They have built a reputation for creating modern furniture for a variety of settings, including healthcare, office, and home.
Below are some of Herman Miller’s most popular chairs:
- Herman Miller Aeron
- An overall favorite with a classic design
- Herman Miller Sayl
- Most affordable
- Herman Miller Mirra 2
- Great for active sitters
- Herman Miller Setu
- Minimalist design
- Herman Miller Cosm
- “Smart” chair that adjusts to your position for optimal support
If you love the look and design of Herman Miller chairs, but don’t want to fork over that much cash, check out our favorite best alternatives here.
Another company that regularly appears on “Best Chairs” lists, Steelcase has distinguished themselves for their modern, stylish chairs that make workspaces productive and inviting. They specialize in designing comfortable chairs for long hours of use.
Steelcase has been in business for over 100 years and is based in Michigan. Manufacturing facilities are located in North America, Asia, and Europe. They have made great strides toward sustainability with an increasing number of BIFMA LEVEL-certified products.
Customers can enjoy free shipping, a generous return policy, and a wide range of color choices. But be prepared to pay anywhere from $400-$1100. Chairs come with a 12-year warranty on critical parts. Details can be found on their website warranty page.
There is a 14-day return window. Returns are free in the continental U.S. if sent back in the original condition and packaging. Otherwise, there is a restocking fee of 20%.
Check out some of their top chairs:
- Steelcase Gesture
- Highly adjustable
- Steelcase Leap
- Superior back support – ideal for people with back problems
- Steelcase Series 1
- Entry-level model with fewer adjustable features
- Steelcase Series 2
- Features Air Back with 3D micro-knit option
- Steelcase Jaku
- Simple design with removable, changeable seat cover
With a philosophy built around function, simplicity, longevity, and sustainability, Humanscale works with world-class designers to create quality chairs that improve the health of working people.
Their most popular products are made with a self-adjusting feature to effortlessly conform to each user’s body without fiddling with knobs or levers. The flagship Freedom chair, which came out in 1999, is a perfect example of this.
The company was founded in 1983 and is based in New York. It also has headquarters in England, China, and Australia.
For a premium, innovative chair, get ready to pay a premium price. The Freedom chair rings in at $1,499.
Fortunately, the Freedom and Liberty chairs come with an extremely generous 15-year warranty. The World One chair has a 7-year warranty on parts and a 3-year warranty on the arm pads and textiles.
Take a look at Humanscale’s top chairs:
- Humanscale Freedom Office Chair
- Flagship product featuring self-adjusting pivot recline and dynamic head and armrests
- Humanscale Liberty Office Chair
- Features sleek design and intelligent counter-balance recline mechanism
- Humanscale World One Office Chair
- More affordable chair with self-adjusting recline but less customization
- Humanscale Diffrient Smart Office Chair
- Most versatile chair with a self-locking recline system and a form-sensing design
Branch is a much younger company than the ones above, but they fill a critical role in the office furniture industry: making quality furniture at an affordable price with a streamlined purchase process.
Their goal is to make people feel good while they work, so that they can do good work.
The most popular chairs range from $250-$380. They come with varying warranties. Depending on what model you get, you will have a 5-year warranty, a 7-year warranty, or a limited lifetime warranty. Branch offers a full spectrum of services, including delivery, white glove installation, and trade-ins of used furniture.
Since 2018, Branch has made products that are comfortable and long lasting.
Here are their top sellers:
- Branch Ergonomic Chair
- Highly adjustable
- Branch Daily Chair
- Basic, affordable model with fewer adjustments
- Branch Elevate Chair
- Most expensive and most customization
- Branch Task Chair
- Great lumbar and back support
Knoll is an American company that began in 1938 and became a leading brand of ergonomic chairs. They make eight different types and offer choices of light and high task chairs. Knoll is known around the world for durable, modern designs that enhance both work and home environments.
Their products are meant to create a natural flow in the workplace and evolve along with people’s needs. Chairs are designed to interact and adapt to the user’s movements to provide the maximum benefit.
Knoll has manufacturing facilities in the United States, Canada, and Italy. In addition to making quality furniture, they also support the environment through energy efficiency initiatives and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
Most of the chairs below come with a 12-year warranty, including a 3-year warranty on upholstery and a 1-year warranty on padded armrests. Their prices range from $400 to $1100.
These are some of their most popular models:
- Knoll Generation Office Chair
- Features a Flex Top that folds over into an armrest to accommodate side sitting
- Knoll ReGeneration Office Chair
- Top seller featuring an Elastomer Flex Back Net for excellent lumbar support
- Knoll Remix High Back Office Chair
- Customizable chair with a three-point tilt lock and flexible back frame that’s ideal for tall people
- Knoll Life Office Chair
- Designed with a synchronized recline mechanism with auto-balanced tension that uses your body weight as a counterbalance
In 1948, G.W. Haworth borrowed $10,000 from his parents to set up shop in Holland, Michigan after outgrowing his garage workshop.
Since then, the Haworth company has grown to worldwide recognition for designing and manufacturing adaptable workspaces. Their products range from furniture to storage to movable walls and are sold in over 120 countries.
Haworth makes a large selection of ergonomic chairs. They use patented ergonomic technologies and offer a variety of colors for people who want to add a touch of style to their environment.
The company has an in-house ergonomics who researches, develops, and tests each design. Their goal is to increase customers’ productivity, creativity, and comfort.
The attention to detail is reflected in the price tags, which can range from $380 to $1,300. Each chair comes with a 12-year limited warranty.
Take a look at some of their bestselling models:
- Haworth Fern Office Chair
- Fan-favorite featuring an innovative, three-part suspension system
- Haworth Zody Office Chair
- Built with a patented lumbar support system that gives full support to your lower back
- Haworth Soji Office Chair
- Simple, intuitive adjustments
- Haworth Very Office Chair
- Features an adjustable lumbar support and 4D-adjustable armrests
The FlexiSpot brand was established in 2016, but their parent company began in 1998. After a technological breakthrough in 2017, their products reached a new level of durability and stability.
FlexiSpot employs over 600 engineers who develop innovative ergonomic solutions. Their dedication has resulted in 1000 patents on record. FlexiSpot is headquartered in California and has facilities around the world.
The company supports the environment by sourcing sustainable materials like bamboo and using recycled materials in their packaging.
FlexiSpot chairs start as low as $100 and come with a 3-year warranty. The Soutien chair comes with a 1-year guarantee.
Here are a few of their top models:
- FlexiSpot Soutien Ergonomic Office Chair
- Features temperature-sensitive fleece mesh
- FlexiSpot OC3B Ergonomic Executive Mesh Office Chair
- Has an adjustable lifting headrest and a four-level tilt tension mechanism
- FlexiSpot Executive Leather Office Chair 2199
- Classic-looking chair with flip-up arms and rocking function
- Flexispot Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair 1388
- Designed with 3D armrests and three-tiered backrest
When searching for the best ergonomic office chair, you may not know where to begin. After looking at these seven companies, you can now shop with confidence, knowing that you are getting a quality product from a respected dealer.
If you are looking for the Rolls Royce of office chairs, you’ll want to start with Herman Miller.
Craving a pop of color? Check out the family-owned Haworth company.
For a full-service business that makes affordable furniture, Branch may be your solution.
Find what specialty fits your needs, and you’ll know where to go for a chair that will transform your workspace.